Yes, this current pandemic is frustrating, disorientating and very sad, and yes, it’s OK to feel the emotions that come with the current disruption. For those who have a roof over their head and food in their belly, it's a time to discover what’s really important and what you are made of.
In my 2012 book on Self-leadership with Dr. Ana Kazan, we described Self-leadership as:
"the practice of intentionally influencing your thinking, feeling and actions towards your objectives”
Right now we need to be practicing self-leadership and one way of 're-framing' how we think about things is through quotes. I'm sure you have your favorite quote that you turn to, to get you through tough times, but to get you started:
1. “Mastering others is strength; mastering oneself is true power” - Lao Tsu
2. “The first and best victory is to conquer self” - Plato
3. “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom” - Aristotle
4. "Rule your mind or it will rule you" - Horace
5. “It doesn’t matter who you are, where you came from. The ability to triumph begins with you. Always.” - Oprah Winfrey
6. “The one thing you can’t take away from me is the way I choose to respond to what you do to me. The last of one’s freedoms is to choose one’s attitude in any given circumstance.” - Viktor E. Frankl
7. “All human beings are self-leaders; however, not all self-leaders are effective at self-leading” - Manz
8. “Being a self-leader is to serve as chief, captain, president, or CEO of one’s own life” - Drucker
9. “Excellence" is not a gift, but a skill that takes practice. We do not act ‘rightly’ because we are ‘excellent’, in fact we achieve ‘excellence; by acting ‘rightly’.” - Plato
10. "All are architects of fate" - Henry W. Longfellow
11. “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do." - Eleanor Roosevelt
12. “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself; do not look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” - Bruce Lee
13. “When the leadership job is finished, the people will say, “we did it ourselves” - Lao Tsu
14. “Character is simply habit long continued.” - Plato
15. “One of the key elements for self-leadership is responsibility. If you can take responsibility, you can take action. If you take action, you get results” – Me 😊
Please feel free to add your own in the comments.
And my thought for today: When you look back at this time of Covid-19, will you be proud of how you conducted yourself?
15 Minute Masterclass for Senior Executives & Managers
The 3 Keys to Get Your Next Promotion into the C-Suite WITHOUT Being Overlooked or Told You're Not Ready Yet
Presenter: Andrew Bryant, Global Authority on Self-Leadership & Executive Presence.