Self Leadership or self-leadership, is having a developed sense of who you are, what you can do, where you are going coupled with the ability to influence your communication, emotions and behavior on the way to getting there (Bryant, Kazan 2012). A more succinct definitions is:
“Self-leadership is the process by which you influence yourself to achieve your objectives.”
Self leadership equates to the leadership competencies of Self Observation and Self Management but most importantly self-leadership impacts all aspect of your life, your health, your career and your relationships. Self-leaders are self-motivated to take purposeful action and therefore make better leaders, entrepreneurs, and team members.
Self-leadership should be the foundation of any Leadership Development or Executive Coaching Program because self-leadership is a solution for a volatile, uncertain, complex & ambiguous world.
Self Leadership is ‘Inside-Out’ Leadership
Self-leaders are constantly developing, Self-awareness, Self-confidence and Self-efficacy (self-belief).
- Self-awareness is about knowing your intentions and values, as well as knowing what can ‘push your buttons’ and derail you.
- Self-confidence comes from knowing your strengths and abilities. As we take actions and develop skills, we become more confident.
- Self-efficacy is the belief that whatever comes our way, we can handle it. We can take the feedback, accept, adjust and advance. With self-efficacy we can be more creative and innovative.
For Self leadership to occur you have to take an effective leadership courses in Melbourne to met our survival needs of food and shelter and begin to look for meaning in our lives. The first skill of self leadership is to STOP and STEP BACK from the things that trigger us to react; because when we react we are being controlled by the trigger. The second skill is to consider our INTENTION. Intention is what is important to us, our values and what we are trying to achieve. By being intentional we can start to live a life of choice.
- Intention precedes any purposeful action (behavior)- rather than a reaction. Actions have effects which the self-leader evaluates via feedback.
- Influence is the the result of purposeful action. We must positively influence ourselves and the world around us if we are to make a change.
- Impact is how intention and influence is measured in the world.
Here’s a quick video which explains self-leadership in simple terms:
Check out our events page for Self Leadership Webinars and Programs.
Self Leadership for Leadership Development
Self leadership should be at the foundation of any leadership development initiative, and it should be reviewed at each career progression. Intention and identity will change with advancement and the need to effectively influence and impact will increase dramatically.
Self leadership is a journey, and the more self-leadership we attain the more successful we become, and the more successful we become, the more self-leadership we need.”
Responsibility and Accountability are two things often lacking in the workplace. Self-leadership develops autonomy (ownership of choice) which leads to greater responsibility and accountability. To find out more feel free to contact us.
“For leaders looking for a plan of “Why What & How” to become a better leader, Bryant & Kazan’s insights will prove invaluable to anyone wanting to become a better leader.” Chester Elton New York Times Best selling author of “The Carrot Principle”, “The Orange Revolution” & “All In”
For more information on this book click here.
Here are some more posts on the topic:
This post has been updated from an original post in November 2009.