Mentoring – what is it?
Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world!” – Archimedes
Many organizations overlook the powerful leveraging effect of mentoring, or confuse it with coaching or ‘buddy systems’. Our research show that whilst some senior managers have conversations with high potentials, few have any framework or training mentoring.
Mentoring has a triple benefit:
- It benefits the mentee – through career advice and support in problem solving
- It benefits the mentor – through gaining perspectives, developing skills and creating a legacy
- It benefits the organization – through increasing engagement and accelerating leadership development as well as retaining tacit knowledge
Mentoring Program Content
Typically we conduct this program in-house over 1-day with a half day follow up once mentors have commenced mentoring. In addition we can assist with establishing a coaching culture and matching mentors to mentees.
Our methodology includes: discussion, demonstration, behavior based learning scenarios, role plays and facilitator feedback. Topics include:
- What is mentoring? (as distinct from a buddy, coach, manager or counselor)
- How adults learn and change (Kolb, Argyris)
- Self-leadership for mentors and mentees
- Creating a mentoring agreement (responsible ‘for’ & ‘to’)
- Supporting (creating unconditional positive regard and clear boundaries)
- Listening (for verbal and non-verbal meaning)
- Validating growth and development (Cheer leading)
- Questioning (for clarity and for expanding perspective)
- Giving feedback to behaviors and skills
- Guiding and offering perspective (particularly on career development)
Our mentoring program can be customized to meet your needs and so please call us for a consultation.